#1) Zagrzeb 2011

Obrazek

R32 Marcel Granollers (ESP) 6-3, 6-2
R16 Illya Marchenko (UKR) 6-2, 6-3
Q Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) 6-4, 6-4
S Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP) 4-6, 7-6(5), 6-4
W Michael Berrer (GER) 6-3, 6-4
MTT:
Singles W(18): Kuala Lumpur 09, Memphis 10, Eastbourne 10, World Tour Finals 10, Cincinnati 12, Auckland 14, Sydney 16, Quito 17, Buenos Aires 17, Halle 17, Umag 17, Auckland 18, Eastbourne 19, Geneva 22, Auckland 23, Washington 23, Paris 23, Miami 24
Singles F(15): Metz 09, Basel 09, Johannesburg 10, Stuttgart 10, Toronto 10, Valencia 10, San Jose 11, Buenos Aires 16, Miami 17, Tokyo 17, IO Tokyo 20, Tokyo 23, Montpellier 24, Buenos Aires 24, Monte Carlo 24
Doubles W (5): Roland Garros 11, US Open 11, Monte Carlo 23, Toronto 23, World Tour Finals 23
Awatar użytkownika
jaccol55

Re: Ivan Dodig

Post autor: jaccol55 »

First-Time Winner Spotlight Ivan Dodig

Obrazek
Ivan Dodig captured his first ATP World Tour title on home soil.

Croatian Ivan Dodig won his first ATP World Tour title on home soil as he defeated eighth seed Michael Berrer 6-3, 6-4 in the final of the PBZ Zagreb Indoors on Sunday.

ATPWorldTour.com caught up with Dodig after his maiden title.

How does it feel to win your first ATP World Tour title in your home country?
I think it’s the best thing that can happen to a player – to play at home in front of your own crowd. I’m really happy and enjoying this day. It was amazing for me all week and it’s an unbelievable experience.

Did you ever dream your first ATP World Tour title would be in front of family and friends?
This is the first time that all my family and cousins were here supporting me – that motivated me even more. It was a nice and great experience.

You kept the streak alive of a Croat reaching the final here for the sixth straight year, were you aware of that after Saturday’s win?
There was a lot of questions about that but I didn’t have any pressure. I just tried to concentrate on my tennis, to play point by point until the last point. There was no pressure, I just played match by match.

You were the only player to take a set off Novak Djokovic at the Australian Open, did that give you extra confidence coming in here?
Yes of course, he had a great tournament there and I played two great sets against him. I think I took some positive things from that match and my confidence was much higher. Here I showed that I can play very well and win the tournament.

What was the key to your success this week in putting together five match wins for the first time?
I think I served really well all week, especially on the important points. My serve is my best shot. I’m very happy that the serve was working great in all the matches this week.

What was your approach going into your first final and did you speak with anyone (did they give you advice)?
I talked with Goran [Ivanisevic] and practised with him before the match. He’s the guy with the experience. He’s an unbelievable player and he knows how to play these big matches, especially the finals. And of course he helped me with my tactics.

Now that you’re at a career-high ranking, what are your goals the rest of the season?
In the beginning of the year the goal was to stay in the Top 100. That is still my first goal. I need to still work a lot, but my final goal for this season is to try and catch the Top 50. I hope I will make it.

Who were the player(s) you admired growing up and did you pattern your game after him (them)?
For me it’s always Goran Ivanisevic. When I was young I always watched his matches. Even now to practice with him is amazing. And of course, there’s also Roger Federer. You can learn a lot from him, he’s for sure one of the best players in the world and he’s also my idol.

Who has helped you get where you are today in your career?
I would like to thank first of all my family. There have been a lot of tough times in my career and I was thinking about stopping a couple of times. But my family was always close to me and I really have to thank them for the support.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis ... Dodig.aspx
Art

Post autor: Art »

BIOFILE WITH IVAN DODIG

Obrazek
Ivan Dodig won his first ATP World
Tour title in Zagreb this year.

One month after clinching his first ATP World Tour title in Zagreb, Ivan Dodig will look for continued success on the indoor hard-courts of the Dom Sportova when Croatia hosts Germany this weekend in first-round Davis Cup action. The 26-year-old Dodig is off to his best season start, and enters the Davis Cup tie at a personal-best No. 57 in the South African Airways 2011 ATP Rankings.

Find out what achievement Dodig ranks above his Zagreb victory as his greatest sports moment and what happened after a black cat wandered onto the court during his match in Umag.

First Tennis Memory: “My first victory in my junior days when I played under 12 in my first tournament. In Croatia.”

Tennis Inspirations: “Is of course my inspiration is the good players. When I was young my inspiration was Goran Ivanisevic, watching him, his matches. And wishing to play someday. And it was like the biggest inspiration.”

Nicknames: “Some players call me Dodo. Just some of the players. Normally I don’t have a nickname.”

Last Book Read: “Oooh, that was a couple of years ago. Normally I like to read sports books. It was Brad Gilbert about tennis (Winning Ugly).”

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: “I don’t know…actually I like chocolate.”

Current Car: “I have Audi A4. We get it here actually after winning some matches. I decide the first time in my life to get a car. (What color?) Red. My father like red [smiles].”

Greatest Sports Moment: “It’s of course first time when I became Top 100. That happened last year in Astana, Kazakhstan, after winning the Challenger (d. Kunitsyn). First time I came to Top 100, it was always my first dream. And greatest moment for my career. (Greater than winning first ATP title?) Actually the ATP tournament is second place. Of course I was always dreaming to be Top 100 and winning Zagreb was second.”

Most Painful Moment: “It was lots of painful moments in my career. But the worst was when I didn’t have money to travel to the tournaments. So it was so tough for me to see the other players, how they are playing. I didn’t have a chance because I’m coming from Croatia and it’s not easy to find the sponsors. If you don’t, say, have a rich family it’s tough. I think that was the worst moment. You see other players are playing and you have no chance to even go to the tournaments. I know now it’s the past for me. And now I’m trying to enjoy. (What year was that?) That was especially in juniors, two years I skip it. I didn’t, I actually (play) just the few tournaments close to my home. It was tough for me.”

Favorite Tournaments: “Actually for me it’s Wimbledon. I played 2010. It’s different from the others. Now it’s Wimbledon, but this year I will play more bigger tournaments.”

Funny Tennis Memory: “The first time I got a wildcard in Umag. The black cat came in the court. I think this is actually not a good sign [smiles]. And I finished very fast. I think it was 6-1 6-3. It was a little bit funny. All the stories was around that cat. (Who did you lose to?) I lost to [Pablo] Cuevas.”

At Best: “I played in Zagreb, the match against [Ivan] Ljubicic and the match in the final I played very well. And Australian, my victory against Juan Carlos Ferrero. I beat him in five sets. I think I played very well. And against [Tommy] Robredo in Stockholm. I really played good in Zagreb against [Michael] Berrer in the final.”

Funniest Players Encountered: “I still don’t know that many players, especially the guys at the top. But I can say for me I’m very good friends with Marin Cilic. We are coming from same village. We are doing a lot of jokes. For me he’s the most funny. We can do somethings to make some funny things especially in Davis Cup. We are together at some tournaments and we are doing things to get good motivation because I think it’s very important to be relaxed for the tournament. And off the court to think about some other things.”

People Qualities Most Admired: “If I look at the tennis way I like people who are relaxed out of the court but in the court I like always to, for example, practice with the guys who are focused. I’m not really happy when I have to hit with somebody who for example, hitting and talking to the coach. If we work we work. Then if we have fun, I have fun. In general, I like relaxed people but when it’s something serious, to be serious.”
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis ... rview.aspx
Awatar użytkownika
DUN I LOVE
Administrator

Post autor: DUN I LOVE »

Dodig przegrywa finał w s'Hertogenbosch.

Chorwacki tenisista rozgrywa najlepszy sezon w karierze. W lutym nie miał sobie równych w hali w Zagrzebiu, a w minioną sobotę rozegrał swój 2 finał turnieju ATP. Tym razem przegrał z Dimą Tursunovem, ale z całą pewnością cały tydzień może zaliczyć do tych znakomitych.

Ivan Dodig - przegrane finały (1)
2011 - s'Hertogenbosch
MTT - tytuły (27)
2021 (4) Sankt Petersburg, Moskwa, IO Tokio, Gstaad, 2020 (2) US Open, Auckland, 2019 (4) Tokio, Halle, Australian Open, Doha, 2017 (1) Cincinnati M1000, 2016 (1) Sankt Petersburg, 2015 (1) Rotterdam, 2013 (3) Montreal M1000, Rzym M1000, Dubaj, 2012 (1) Toronto M1000, 2011 (4) Waszyngton, Belgrad, Miami M1000, San Jose, 2010 (2) Wiedeń, Rotterdam, 2009 (2) Szanghaj M1000, Eastbourne, 2008 (2) US Open, Estoril

MTT - finały (35)
2023 (3) Waszyngton, Indian Wells M1000, Buenos Aires, 2022 (3) Wimbledon, Miami M1000, Australian Open, 2021 (4) San Diego, Wimbledon, Halle, Genewa, 2020 (2) Paryż-Bercy M1000, Acapulco, 2019 (2) Kitzbuhel, Genewa, 2018 (3) Sankt Petersburg, Stuttgart, Marsylia, 2017 (2) Sztokholm, Indian Wells M1000, 2016 (2) Newport, Rotterdam, 2015 (1) Halle, 2014 (1) Tokio, 2013 (2) Basel, Kuala Lumpur, 2011 (3) WTF, Cincinnati M1000, Rzym M1000, 2010 (2) Basel, Marsylia, 2009 (4) WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, Madryt M1000, 2008 (1) WTF
Joao

Post autor: Joao »

Najwyższa pozycja w karierze: 37
Awatar użytkownika
DUN I LOVE
Administrator

Podczas pojedynku 2 rundy Rogers Cup 2011, Ivan Dodig odniósł największy sukces w dotychczasowej karierze. Chorwacki zawodnik pokonał w 3 setach wicelidera rankingu i jednego z najlepszych graczy w historii tenisa - Rafaela Nadala.
Dodig Pulls Off Improbable Victory Over Nadal

Obrazek
Dodig outlasted Nadal in three hours
and nine minutes.

Ivan Dodig rocked World No. 2 Rafael Nadal at the Rogers Cup Wednesday, ousting the two-time Montreal champion 1-6, 7-6(5), 7-6(5) in a physical three hour and nine minute clash.

The loss is Nadal’s earliest exit at an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event in over three years. His last opening-round loss at a Masters 1000 tournament came in Rome in 2008, when he fell to compatriot Juan Carlos Ferrero in a second-round meeting. "I had to close the match with the 5-3 [lead] in the third set. I had to close that match probably in the second when I was playing very well, 6-1, 3-1, playing very high level of tennis," reflected Nadal."

"After that, the tennis is like this. You are winning without many problems, you have one mistake, and after the opponent starts to serve very well, playing very aggressive."

Added Dodig, "I keep fighting second set even when I was down 3-1. I think I relaxed more and my serve started to work. Especially after I broke him first time, I was getting more points with my serve. I was getting also like more relaxed during the rallies. I was going more for the shots. Was working quite good today, especially in the important points."

Nadal seemed to be in command, leading 6-1, 3-1 before the Croat found a way back into the match. After edging Nadal to claim the second set tie-break, Dodig quickly fell behind in the third set, as the Spaniard opened a 3-0 lead. Though he relinquished his break of serve, Nadal broke Dodig again in the eighth game to move ahead 5-3, giving himself a chance to serve out the match.

Dodig hung tough, setting up a break point opportunity which he converted to put the set back on serve. Each would hold the rest of the way through to send the encounter into a final set tie-break.

The Croat began with a mini-break but could not win both service points, and it stayed on serve. Serving at 5-5 with the finish line in sight, Dodig fired his 19th ace to reach match point, and won the subsequent point to pull off the improbable victory.

Learn More About Dodig | Dodig First-Time Winner Spotlight

"On match point, I think I did it. I make a winner. I think that was the key of this match," assessed Dodig. "I know it's very tough when you play these guys to be aggressive. Sometimes they don't allow you [to be]. But today I had some chances and I think I used them. I finished the match by myself. I didn't wait for his mistakes."

Nadal had reached the final of the first five ATP World Tour Masters 1000 events to start the year, winning his record seventh straight title at the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters and finishing runner-up to World No. 1 Novak Djokovic at Indian Wells, Miami, Madrid and Rome. Wednesday's defeat will see Nadal lose further ground to Djokovic in his quest to reclaim the South African Airways ATP No. 1 Ranking.

"He played very well, very aggressive. He didn't feel the pressure in the important moments. And at the end of the match, probably I was a little bit unlucky today," said Nadal.

"I felt I played enough well to win that match. But that's tennis. The only thing I can do is congratulate the opponent and keep working for Cincinnati."

Dodig advances to play Janko Tipsarevic in the third round. The Serbian also found himself in a grinding battle, eventually defeating Fernando Verdasco 6-4, 6-7(5), 6-3 in two hours and 58 minutes.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis ... Dodig.aspx
MTT - tytuły (27)
2021 (4) Sankt Petersburg, Moskwa, IO Tokio, Gstaad, 2020 (2) US Open, Auckland, 2019 (4) Tokio, Halle, Australian Open, Doha, 2017 (1) Cincinnati M1000, 2016 (1) Sankt Petersburg, 2015 (1) Rotterdam, 2013 (3) Montreal M1000, Rzym M1000, Dubaj, 2012 (1) Toronto M1000, 2011 (4) Waszyngton, Belgrad, Miami M1000, San Jose, 2010 (2) Wiedeń, Rotterdam, 2009 (2) Szanghaj M1000, Eastbourne, 2008 (2) US Open, Estoril

MTT - finały (35)
2023 (3) Waszyngton, Indian Wells M1000, Buenos Aires, 2022 (3) Wimbledon, Miami M1000, Australian Open, 2021 (4) San Diego, Wimbledon, Halle, Genewa, 2020 (2) Paryż-Bercy M1000, Acapulco, 2019 (2) Kitzbuhel, Genewa, 2018 (3) Sankt Petersburg, Stuttgart, Marsylia, 2017 (2) Sztokholm, Indian Wells M1000, 2016 (2) Newport, Rotterdam, 2015 (1) Halle, 2014 (1) Tokio, 2013 (2) Basel, Kuala Lumpur, 2011 (3) WTF, Cincinnati M1000, Rzym M1000, 2010 (2) Basel, Marsylia, 2009 (4) WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, Madryt M1000, 2008 (1) WTF
Joao

Najwyższy ranking w karierze: 36
Awatar użytkownika
Barty
Administrator

Post autor: Barty »

Najwyższy ranking w karierze: 33
Tytuły (27):
2023: Wiedeń 2022: Miami, Astana, Bazylea, WTF Turyn 2021: Monte Carlo, Madryt, Winston-Salem 2019: Newport, US Open, 2018: Brisbane, Quito, Indian Wells, Monte Carlo, Monachium, Roland Garros, 2017: Auckland, Waszyngton, Shenzen, 2015: Doha, Sydney, Houston, Roland Garros, 2013: US Open, 2012: Nicea, 2011: Los Angeles, WTF Londyn, Wcześniej: Za słaba era, żeby coś wpisywać.
Finały (36):
2024: Brisbane, Cordoba, Estoril 2023: Auckland, Rotterdam, Dubaj, Barcelona 2022: Rotterdam, Monte Carlo, Monachium, Rzym, Newport, Hamburg, Gijon 2021: Monachium, Rzym, 2020: Rzym, Antwerpia, 2019: Rotterdam, Rzym, Roland Garros, 2018: Halle, 2017: Stuttgart, 2016: Tokio, Shanghai, Bazylea, 2015: Wiedeń, WTF Londyn, 2014: Doha, 2013: Cincinnati, 2012: Monte Carlo, Roland Garros, Sztokholm, 2011: Marsylia, Monte Carlo, Wimbledon, US Open, Wcześniej: Za słaba era, żeby coś wpisywać.
Awatar użytkownika
Ranger

Post autor: Ranger »

Najwyższy ranking w karierze: 32
W(20): 23': Halle 22': Doha, Bastad, Gijon 21': Cagliari, Lyon, Waszyngton 20': Montpellier 18': Doha, Pekin 17': Szanghaj, Bazylea 16': Queen's Club, Atlanta 14': Pekin 13': Montpellier, Atlanta 12': Kuala Lumpur, Szanghaj, Bazylea
F(29): 23': Pune, Australian Open, 22': Neapol 21': Marsylia, Stuttgart, Eastbourne, Gstaad, Winston-Salem, Metz 20': Adelajda, Australian Open 19': Montpellier 18': Dubaj, Umag 17': Sofia, Barcelona, s-Hertogenbosch', Wimbledon 16': Genewa, s-Hertogenbosch' 13': Barcelona, Madryt, Bercy 12': Dubaj, Estoril, Madryt, Rzym, Nicea 11': Los Angeles

W(14): 22': AO, MC, Madryt, Wimbledon, Cincy, Bercy 21': Toronto, Cincy 19': Montreal 18': MTT Finals 17': USO 15': AO, RG 13': Wimbledon
F(8): 23': Rzym 22': USO, MTT Finals 19: Rzym, Wimbledon, Davis Cup 18': USO 16':
Wimbledon 15':USO
Joao

Biofile with Ivan Dodig
First Tennis Memory: “My first victory in my junior days when I played under 12 in my first tournament. In Croatia.”

Tennis Inspirations: “Is of course my inspiration is the good players. When I was young my inspiration was Goran Ivanisevic, watching him, his matches. And wishing to play someday. And it was like the biggest inspiration.”

Nicknames: “Some players call me Dodo. Just some of the players. Normally I don’t have a nickname.”

Last Book Read: “Oooh, that was a couple of years ago. Normally I like to read sports books. It was Brad Gilbert about tennis (Winning Ugly).”

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: “I don’t know…actually I like chocolate.”

Current Car: “I have Audi A4. We get it here actually after winning some matches. I decide the first time in my life to get a car. (What color?) Red. My father like red [smiles].”

Greatest Sports Moment: “It’s of course first time when I became top 100. That happened last year in Astana, Kazakhstan, after winning the Challenger (d. Kunitsyn). First time I came to top 100, it was always my first dream. And greatest moment for my career. (Greater than winning first ATP title?) Actually the ATP tournament is second place. Of course I was always dreaming to be top 100 and winning Zagreb was second.”

Most Painful Moment: “It was lots of painful moments in my career. But the worst was when I didn’t have money to travel to the tournaments. So it was so tough for me to see the other players, how they are playing. I didn’t have a chance because I’m coming from Croatia and it’s not easy to find the sponsors. If you don’t, say, have a rich family it’s tough. I think that was the worst moment. You see other players are playing and you have no chance to even go to the tournaments. I know now it’s the past for me. And now I’m trying to enjoy. (What year was that?) That was especially in juniors, two years I skip it. I didn’t, I actually (play) just the few tournaments close to my home. It was tough for me.”

Favorite Tournaments: “Actually for me it’s Wimbledon. I played 2010. It’s different from the others. Now it’s Wimbledon, but this year I will play more bigger tournaments.”

Funny Tennis Memory: “The first time I got a wildcard in Umag. The black cat came in the court. I think this is actually not a good sign [smiles]. And I finished very fast. I think it was 6-1 6-3. It was a little bit funny. All the stories was around that cat. (Who did you lose to?) I lost to Cuevas.”

At Best: “I played in Zagreb, the match against Ljubicic and the match in the final I played very well. And Australian, my victory against Juan Carlos Ferrero. I beat him in five sets. I think I played very well. And against Robredo in Stockholm. I really played good in Zagreb against Berrer in the final.”

Funniest Players Encountered: “I still don’t know that many players especially the guys at the top. But I can say for me I’m very good friends with Marin Cilic. We are coming from same village. We are doing a lot of jokes. For me he’s the most funny. We can do somethings to make some funny things especially in Davis Cup. We are together at some tournaments and we are doing things to get good motivation because I think it’s very important to be relaxed for the tournament. And off the court to think about some other things.”

People Qualities Most Admired: “If I look at the tennis way I like people who are relaxed out of the court but in the court I like always to, for example, practice with the guys who are focused. I’m not really happy when I have to hit with somebody who for example, hitting and talking to the coach. If we work we work. Then if we have fun, I have fun. In general, I like relaxed people but when it’s something serious, to be serious.”
http://www.tennis-prose.com/articles/bi ... van-dodig/
Awatar użytkownika
DUN I LOVE
Administrator

2011 w liczbach

Ranking: 36
Bilans meczów: 26-25
Tytuły: 1 (Zagrzeb)
Finały: 1 (s'Hertogenbosch)
Zarobki: $645,735
MTT - tytuły (27)

MTT - finały (35)
Awatar użytkownika
jaccol55

Post autor: jaccol55 »

Ivan Dodig: Determined To Succeed
DEUCE Extra - Australian Open 2012

Obrazek
Ivan Dodig won his first ATP World Tour title at Zagreb in February 2011.

Ivan Dodig became a professional tennis player through sheer hard work. Now, he is determined to stay in the Top 50 of the South African Airways ATP Rankings.

The crowd inside the Dom Sportava in Zagreb are on their feet, wild with excitement as Croat Ivan Dodig is one point away from winning his first ATP World Tour title, the PBZ Zagreb Open. Dodig chooses the two balls he will serve with and steps up to the baseline. No one knows for sure what thoughts must be racing through the 26 year old's mind at this moment. But it is safe to say, for Dodig, it must seem like a very long way from when he was forced to sleep in bus stations, airports and in an old Opel car, while trying to scratch out a living on the lower rungs of the tennis tour.

Now Dodig locks in the spot he will serve to, begins his motion and blasts an ace out wide past Michael Berrer's outstretched forehand. With a look of disbelief and joy, Dodig turns his back to the net and raises his arms in triumph as the crowd break into applause. Then, with all those emotions swirling inside of him, he hurls his racquet high up into the crowd. In the din of madness, amidst the celebrations, Dodig did not hear the chair umpire call "OUT".
"This is some special guy."
An overrule of the Croat's ace.

At first, Dodig pleads, then protests, and finally, realising that his case is useless, hangs his head on the net in despair. As if his life has not been hard enough, now Dodig has to try and compose himself and find a way to summon all his concentration once more. Not to mention try to get his racquet back.

Obrazek

"I was in shock," remembers Dodig. "After the first match point I did not know how to react. I came to the net but there was no [Michael] Berrer, and I turned to the umpire and saw that he called out. Then I started thinking, 'where is my racquet? What should I do now?'"

"I was live streaming the match from Prague," says Dodig’s coach, Martin Stepanek. "He served a great serve out wide and I started jumping in my room. I was so happy for him. All the emotions of all that hard work. Then, there is silence and I saw the umpire signaling out. I could not believe it and I was thinking what is going to happen now? It might happen that he can lose it. I was shaking."

What happened next was a second serve, which Berrer returned and then struck a good approach, followed by a great half volley drop shot to save the match point.

If Dodig's body language could communicate, it would be shouting extreme anxiety in high definition.
"If I won some matches, I would have a chance to play more tournaments."
Goran Ivanisevic was there as a commentator.

"I was there commentating for television," says Ivanisevic. "The way he [Dodig] played in Zagreb from the first to last match was incredible. He asked me for some tips on how he should play finals. He actually played everything that I told him. I was really surprised the way he was listening. You know, this is some special guy. The way he achieved everything by himself, with nobody really helping him, while he was struggling for a really long time is incredible."

What Ivanisevic is alluding to is what most players on the ATP World Tour have known about Dodig. The stories are the stuff of dreams. It is even rumoured that he once had to sleep under a bridge because he couldn't afford a hotel.

Obrazek

"He never had money and what he accomplished is amazing, and I am giving him the biggest respect there is," says countryman Lovro Zovko. "I think that is where his big heart comes from on the court. He never quit on anything and every match he played he tried to play his best tennis. And it was not easy at all for him. Now, he is willing to help others because he knows how it is when you have to count every cent that you spend."

"I had a little bit of a tough time in juniors and Futures," recalls Dodig. "I had some financial situations after the war, but unfortunately, I did not get any support. I was fighting in some Futures to earn some money. It was very hard for me because I knew that if I lost there was small chance that I could go to the next tournament. If I won some matches, I would have a chance to play more tournaments. Sometimes it was good, sometimes [it was] not so good. I was taking care of every Euro. I had many tough situations in tournaments having to play without money and many times without anywhere to sleep."

Back to the Zagreb final.

Locked at deuce, with the match momentum suddenly shifting like a fault line erupting, Berrer looks like a death row inmate just granted a last minute pardon. What possesses Dodig to do what he does next is anybody's guess. But it was plainly obvious that Dodig was going to strike the first blow. A serve-volley catches Berrer off guard and Dodig wins the point.
"He made a big step up, when he began travelling with Martin Stepanek."
Match point, again, for Dodig.

By all accounts, Dodig got his big break, at an academy ironically called, BreakPoint in Halle, Germany, where Viktor Troicki and Jarkko Nieminen train.

"I was around World No. 500 or so and I decided to go to Halle," says Dodig. "I knew it would be very tough, but there I got great support from the people. Since then many important moments in my life have happened.”

Jan de Witt directs the academy. And years of experience told him there was plenty of work to be done before Dodig was ready to have a breakthrough.

"I saw a great person and a great athlete with more will to work and succeed than most other players," recalls de Witt. "But his body wasn't ready to take the pressure of playing full-time and travelling. He was a strong man before he came to BreakPoint, but unbalanced. He had to get more flexible. While working on his fitness - especially his back - we used the time to improve his backhand to become a weapon and added the missing serve to his arsenal. In general, his serve was great when he came to us, but that one extra serve helped to make the others more effective. I saw him be a Top 100 player, with a shot to Top 50, if things went well. Then he made a big step up, when he began travelling with Martin Stepanek."

Obrazek

"The thing is that he became more calm and more focused," states BreakPoint coach Stepanek, who would become Dodig's full-time tour coach. "He does not have to worry about not having someone with him on the tour and he has some financial security now. I believe in Ivan for many reasons, but mainly because he is a guy with an unbelievably big heart - one of the biggest fighters on the tour. And he is not afraid to play on the big courts with the best players. You could see in his eyes there is something in him."

Rafael Nadal must have seen that character trait of Dodig as well, when the two men squared off against each other in the second round of the Rogers Cup in Montreal last year. Dodig stood toe-to-toe with Nadal and emerged the victor 1-6, 7-6(5), 7-6(5).

Says Stepanek, "This year will be quite special for Ivan, as last year, at the age of 26, he made his biggest step entering deep in the Top 100 [in the South African Airways ATP Rankings]. As many tennis players know, the second year is the most tricky as all the players know your game already, with this some pressure comes as well. To be ready for this, Ivan needs to be physically and mentally better prepared than last year. Our biggest focus will be on the physical part, to be fit and ready to compete the whole season, especially the second part of the season."
"I must keep fighting even harder, if I want to become a good tennis player..."
"He likes being on the tour," says Ivanisevic. "And he is going to make his opponent miserable because he will have to work for every point. He appreciates everything about the tour. For sure, there are some things that he can improve. Sometimes he tries too much. But the main thing is that he listens and he is always asking for advice. He likes to learn and he is going to learn even more."

"I learned in the Futures and Challengers that if you fight 100 per cent of the time you will always earn your chance," claims Dodig. "Now, I must keep fighting even harder, if I want to become a good tennis player and get my chance against the best players in the world."

Obrazek

Speaking of getting another chance, Dodig got his second match point versus Berrer in last year's Zagreb final. The two men rallied back and forth until Berrer approached the net. A backhand pass by Dodig down the line sealed the victory. And this time there was no overruling the ball out.

"I saw it on television and was extremely happy for him," says de Witt. "I don't know of many players that deserve this moment like Ivan.

Having the support from his childhood idol Ivanisevic was inspirational to Dodig.

"Goran supports us and he is really special for us," admits Dodig. "It is always a pleasure for us if he can be around. Goran gives us advice because he has had so many experiences."

De Witt believes, "Ivan Dodig is a very good role model for many young kids, who dream about becoming a star and have to live with hard times and many setbacks. Ivan is a guy who went down, but always stood back up."

They say that it is not whether you win or lose that counts, but how you play the game. If that much is true, then Dodig will always be a winner, because he gives the game everything he has in the tank on every single day.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE- ... Dodig.aspx
Awatar użytkownika
Ranger

Post autor: Ranger »

Wywiad po wygraniu I rundy Us Open 2012
Spoiler:
Źródłó: http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interv ... 36266.html
W(20): 23': Halle 22': Doha, Bastad, Gijon 21': Cagliari, Lyon, Waszyngton 20': Montpellier 18': Doha, Pekin 17': Szanghaj, Bazylea 16': Queen's Club, Atlanta 14': Pekin 13': Montpellier, Atlanta 12': Kuala Lumpur, Szanghaj, Bazylea
F(29): 23': Pune, Australian Open, 22': Neapol 21': Marsylia, Stuttgart, Eastbourne, Gstaad, Winston-Salem, Metz 20': Adelajda, Australian Open 19': Montpellier 18': Dubaj, Umag 17': Sofia, Barcelona, s-Hertogenbosch', Wimbledon 16': Genewa, s-Hertogenbosch' 13': Barcelona, Madryt, Bercy 12': Dubaj, Estoril, Madryt, Rzym, Nicea 11': Los Angeles

W(14): 22': AO, MC, Madryt, Wimbledon, Cincy, Bercy 21': Toronto, Cincy 19': Montreal 18': MTT Finals 17': USO 15': AO, RG 13': Wimbledon
F(8): 23': Rzym 22': USO, MTT Finals 19: Rzym, Wimbledon, Davis Cup 18': USO 16':
Wimbledon 15':USO
Awatar użytkownika
Sempere

Post autor: Sempere »

10.09.2012 (debel)

Najwyższy ranking w karierze: 24
"Kto jest dobry? Kto zły? Nie ma ludzi dobrych i złych, są tylko złe albo dobre uczynki. I ludzie, którzy miotają się między nimi." Éric-Emmanuel Schmitt
Awatar użytkownika
Sempere

Valencia 2012 Friday Interview Dodig

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Medi ... Dodig.aspx
"Kto jest dobry? Kto zły? Nie ma ludzi dobrych i złych, są tylko złe albo dobre uczynki. I ludzie, którzy miotają się między nimi." Éric-Emmanuel Schmitt
Awatar użytkownika
Sempere

2012 w liczbach

Ranking: 74
Bilans meczów: 16-26 (38,1 %)
Łączna liczba spotkań: 42
Tytuły: 0
Finały: 0
Zarobki: $524,730
Awatar użytkownika
Sempere

2012 w liczbach (debel)

Ranking: 31
Bilans meczów: 29-21 (58,0 %)
Łączna liczba spotkań: 50
Tytuły: -
Finały:2 (Memphis, Zagrzeb)
Awatar użytkownika
Sempere

PBZ ZAGREB INDOORS 2013: Ivan Dodig talks on his his chances in Zagreb and his biggest goals

ODPOWIEDZ